New Firmware Update Version 3.0 for Sony a7 III & a7R III
The new Sony a7III ($1,998) & a7RIII ($2,798) mirrorless camera firmware update version 3.0 are now available for download online. You can follow the links below to download the Sony a7III & a7RIII firmware update:
Benefits and Improvements from the latest update
- Adds real-time Eye AF for animals
- It is not possible to detect human and animal eyes simultaneously
- Eye detection may not be possible and depends on the environment, animal type, and movement of the animal
- Allows you to operate the real-time EYE AF by half-pressing the shutter button or by pressing the AF-ON button
- Adds the Interval Shooting function
- Allows operation with the wireless remote commander RMT-P1BT (sold separately)
- Allows you to assign the [MENU] to a custom key
- Allows [MENU] tab operation with the Fn button
- Improves the overall stability of the camera
Sony’s acclaimed a7 III and a7R III mirrorless cameras have received an exciting firmware update—Software Version 3.0— that enhances Real-time Eye AF performance and adds Real-time Animal Eye AF and interval shooting for time lapse.
Real-time Eye AF
Software Version 3.0 brings Real-time Eye-AF to the a7R III and a7 III, an AI-driven, enhanced eye detection system that’s based on the results of machine learning. Through machine learning, Sony has created a system that can detect—and focus on—the human eye even if the subject is looking down, partially blocked in the frame, turning or backlit. This feature is available in AF-C mode with a simple half-press of the shutter button.
Real-time Animal Eye AF
As with human eye recognition, Software Version 3.0 brings AI-driven animal eye detection to Sony cameras for the first time. Advanced subject recognition allows the a7 III and a7R III to detect and track animal eyes, and is the first step in a robust animal-tracking AF system.
The development of Animal Eye AF performance will continue, increasing the range of animals recognized by the system as well the system’s ability to track their movement.
This new software adds a built-in interval timer that can be set for anywhere between 1 and 60 seconds, with a total number of shots from 1 to 9999. AE tracking sensitivity is available to be adjusted to “High”, “Mid” or “Low” in order to reduce changes in exposure.