Sony a6100, a6600, 16-55mm f/2.8 G & 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 G OSS Lenses Announced
Sony officially announced the new Sony a6100, a6600, E 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 G OSS Lens, E 16-55mm f/2.8 G Lens. The US price of Sony a6100 is $748, the Sony a6600 is priced at $1,398.
SAN DIEGO — August 28, 2019 — Sony Electronics today announced two new additions to its α (Alpha) series of mirrorless cameras with the launch of the Alpha 6600 (model ILCE-6600) and Alpha 6100 (model ILCE-6100). These new models bring many of Sony’s most advanced imaging technologies into compact, lightweight APS-C bodies.
The new, extremely versatile Alpha 6600 camera has been designed to address the needs of the most demanding photographers and videographers, while the new Alpha 6100 is targeted at users who are looking to produce high-quality photos and videos with an interchangeable lens camera.
In addition to the new bodies, the Sony APS-C range has been further strengthened by the launch of two new lenses: E 16-55mm F2.8 G and E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS. Sony’s “One Mount” solution for both APS-C and Full-frame cameras provides creators an extreme amount of versatility for all of their photography and video needs.
“These new APS-C cameras provide excellent image quality in a compact package, with the ability to take full advantage of Sony’s growing lineup of 54 different E-mount lenses,” said Neal Manowitz, deputy president of Imaging Products and Solutions at Sony Electronics. “We are proud to bring so many of our innovations into our APS-C lineup and to provide creators with several new tools to realize their vision.”
The new Alpha 6600 and Alpha 6100 include a 24.2MP (1) Exmor™ CMOS image sensor, the latest BIONZ X™ image processor, and a front-end LSI implemented in Sony’s full-frame cameras. This powerful trio combine to deliver all-around enhancements in image quality and performance across all areas of photo and video capture.
The Alpha 6600 and Alpha 6100 offer a lightning-fast autofocus acquisition time of 0.02 seconds (2). With 425 focal-plane phase-detection autofocus (AF) points covering approximately 84 percent of the image area and 425 contrast-detection AF points, the high density and wide coverage of the AF system ensure reliable AF, even in the most challenging light conditions. Both new models benefit from Sony’s ‘Real-time Tracking’ which utilizes Sony’s latest algorithm with Artificial Intelligence (3)-based object recognition to ensure that subjects can be captured with excellent accuracy, even via the touch panel on the rear screen. In addition, the new models offer ‘Real-time Eye AF’, the latest version of Sony’s acclaimed Eye AF technology. Real-time Eye AF employs AI-based object recognition to detect and process eye data in real time, resulting in improved accuracy, speed and tracking performance of Eye AF for both humans and animals (4), and it allows the photographer to concentrate exclusively on composition. (5) The Alpha 6600 also offers Real Time Eye AF in video. When activated, the eye of a subject is automatically tracked with high precision and reliability, allowing the shooter to focus on the content itself as opposed to what is in focus or not.
Additionally, both cameras can shoot high-quality 4K video, and include a microphone jack and flip screen that allows for easy framing and shooting of vlog-style content. The Alpha 6600 also features a headphone jack to monitor audio.
An Eye for Detail
Based upon feedback from users of existing Sony APS-C camera users, Sony has added features to the Alpha 6600 and Alpha 6100 to fine tune the user experience. These include:
– Improved color reproduction; algorithms inherited from full-frame models deliver natural color reproduction, particularly in skin tones
– Hi-resolution internal 4K (6) movie recording with full-pixel readout without pixel binning in Super 35mm format with easy smartphone transfers via the Imaging Edge™ Mobile application (7)
– Interval shooting (8) for stunning time-lapse videos
– 180-degree tiltable, 3.0-type 921k-dot (approx.) LCD touch screen
– Integrated Microphone input for clear and crisp audio on video recordings
Across an ISO range of 100-32000 (expandable to ISO 50 – 102,400 (9) ), the new Alpha 6600 offers superb low-noise performance and delivers extremely high-quality images, even in low-light conditions. By applying noise reduction and sharpness processing optimally in each area, Area-specific Noise Reduction and Detail Reproduction Technology greatly reduce noise while preserving high resolution. This contributes to fine reproduction of subject textures and shadow details.
The Alpha 6600 features many of the technology breakthroughs that are attracting praise on Sony’s high-end full-frame cameras. These include:
– Sony’s innovative 5-axis in-body image stabilization system that results in a 5.0-step (10) shutter speed advantage
– Implementation of the industry-leading (11) long battery life with Sony Z Battery for the first time on an APS-C camera, enabling extended power performance; approx. 720 still images using viewfinder, approx. 810 images using LCD monitor (12)
– A tough magnesium alloy design that is dust and moisture resistant (13)
– Real-time Eye AF for movie shooting (14); when activated, the eye of a subject is automatically tracked with high precision and reliability, allowing the shooter to focus on the content itself as opposed to what is in focus or not in focus. Touch Tracking functionality will also automatically initiate Eye AF when a human subject is selected
– Integrated headphone jack which allows the user to connect high-quality headphones for accurate monitoring of recorded sound
4K RECORDING (6)
The Alpha 6600 and Alpha 6100 boasts internal 4K movie recording in Super 35mm format with full pixel readout without pixel binning, to enable them to capture approximately 2.4x (15) the amount of information required for 4K movies. This oversampling results in stunning footage, delivered in the XAVC S™ format with unparalleled resolution. The Alpha 6600 also equips an HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) (16) picture profile that supports an instant HDR workflow. Recorded movies played back on an HDR (HLG) compatible TV will appear true-to-life, with no blocked shadows or blown highlights, and without the need for color grading. For users who want to color grade their footage in post-production, S-Log3 and S-Log2 Gamma profiles are provided.
Pricing & Availability
The new Alpha 6600 will be available in November and will be sold at a variety of Sony authorized dealers throughout North America at below prices:
• Camera body – $1,400 US / $1,900 CA
• Camera kit with Sony 18-135mm Lens – $1,800 US / $2,400 CA
In addition, the Alpha 6100 will be available in October and will be sold at a variety of Sony authorized dealers throughout North America at below prices:
• Camera body – $750 US / $1,000 CA
• Camera kit with Sony 16-50mm Lens – $850 US / $1,100 CA
• Camera kit with Sony 16-50mm Lens and 55-210mm Lens – $1,100 US / $1,550 CA