Zeiss officially announced the new Batis 18mm f/2.8 lens for Sony full frame E-mount mirrorless cameras. This new Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8 lens is priced at $1,499 in US, available for pre-order at B&H, Adorama. And it will be released on May 5, 2016.
Featuring a diagonal field of view of 99 degrees, this lens is currently the shortest full-frame fixed focal length with autofocus and it is the widest lens in the series. And this Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8 lens features a respectable f/2.8 aperture, making it a great option for landscapes, architecture, astrophotography, and for impressive interior shots of small spaces. The fast, quiet AF drive with linear motors keeps the subject sharply in focus.
The very large field angle of this super wide-angle lens is perfect for creative shots with unusual perspectives. Consistently excellent image quality right into the corners makes the lens perfect for the challenges of, for example, landscape, astro and architectural photography.
Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8 Lens Tech Specs:
- Focal length –18 mm
- Aperture range — f/2.8 — f/22
- Lens elements / groups — 11/10
- Focusing range — 0.25 m (9.8 “) — infinity
- Free Working distance — 0.17 m (6.7 “) — infinity
- Angular field (diag. / horiz. / vert.) — 99° / 90° / 67°
- Diameter of image field — 43.3 mm (1.7 “)
- Coverage at close range (MOD) — 227 x 340 mm (8.9 x 13.4 “)
- Image ratio at MOD — 1:9.5
- Filter thread — M77 x 0.75
- Max. diameter (with lens shade) — 100 mm (3.9 “)
- Diameter of the focus ring — 78 mm (3.1 “)
- Length (without lens caps) — 80 mm (3.1 “)
- Length (with lens caps) – 95 mm (3.7 “)
- Weight (without lens caps) — 330 g (0.74 lbs)
- Camera mounts — E Mount
Zeiss Batis 18/2.8 Mirrorless Features
- Super wide-angle lens for full-frame E mount cameras, with a 99º diagonal field of view
- New floating element design based on the Distagon style, with 11 elements in 10 groups
- 7 lens elements comprised of special glass with 4 aspherical elements
- Weather sealed barrel for moisture and dust protection
- Electronic aperture with range from f/2.8-22
- Minimum focus distance of 9.8″ / 0.25m
- Filter thread dimension of 77mm
- Weight – 11.6 oz / 330g
See Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8 lens sample images at Flickr.
Read more at Zeiss
Note: If you are a Sony Camera User, you can now join the Sony Camera Users Facebook Group to share your Sony photography and advice, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!
Sony Camera Users: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SonyCameraUsers