Fujifilm officially announced the new Fujifilm GFX 50S II medium format mirrorless camera and Fujifilm GF 35-70mm f/4.5-5.6 WR Lens. The US price of Fujifilm GFX 50S II is $3,999 and it will be released on October 21, 2021. Now the new Fujifilm GFX 50S II & GF 35-70mm f/4.5-5.6 WR Lens are available for pre-order at Amazon, B&H and Adorama. Order now if you are interested.
Fujifilm GFX 50S II Key Features:
- 51.4MP 43.8 x 32.9mm CMOS Sensor
- X-Processor 4 Image Processor
- 3.69m-Dot OLED EVF
- 3.2″ 2.36m-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- 117-Point Contrast-Detection AF System
- Extended ISO 50-102400, 3 fps Shooting
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps
- Multi Aspect Ratio Shooting
- Film Simulation Modes
- GF 35-70mm f/4.5-5.6 WR Lens
Fujifilm GF 35-70mm f/4.5-5.6 WR Lens Key Features:
- FUJIFILM G Mount
- 28-55mm (35mm Equivalent)
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 13.8″
- STM Autofocus Motor
Fujifilm Announces New FUJIFILM GFX50S II Mirrorless Digital Camera
Valhalla, N.Y. – September 2, 2021 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of “FUJIFILM GFX50S II” (GFX50S II), the latest addition to the GFX System of mirrorless digital cameras equipped with a large format*1 sensor.
GFX50S II is equipped with a 51.4MP large format sensor with incredible image- resolving power, capturing every detail in sharpness across the frame. Light is recorded to the pixel which is 1.7 times that of a full-frame sensor*2 to achieve a wide dynamic range and a high signal-to-noise ratio. The resulting image reproduces deep tonality and texture from shadows to highlights, and delivers image clarity with minimal noise even when taken in low light. One of the strengths of the large format sensor is its ability to produce a very shallow depth of field, which, when complemented by the edge-to-edge sharpness of Fujifilm’s GF lenses, accentuate the main subject against a blurred background for added three-dimensional definition.
“GFX50S II offers the perfect mix of accessibility and flexibility,” said Victor Ha, senior director of marketing and product development for FUJIFILM North America Corporation, Electronic Imaging Division. “With professional features that include 19 Film Simulation modes, advanced autofocusing, and a vast range of exposure controls, GFX50S II provides limitless opportunities for creativity.”
Superior image quality delivered with the use of a unique 51.4MP large format sensor
- GFX50S II uses a specialized design with uniquely small, light-collecting micro lenses on the sensor which create a wide gap between adjacent pixels, thereby maximizing light resolution per pixel for exceptional image sharpness.
- Having a large, light-receiving area per pixel results in excellent ISO sensitivity, dynamic range and tonality, controlling highlight / shadow clipping while conveying the subject’s texture, definitions and even the atmosphere of the scene in precise detail.
- The ability of the large format sensor to produce a very shallow depth-of-field renders background out of focus beautifully, adding definition to the subject and drawing attention to the particular area on the image that the photographer intended.
Variety of Film Simulations
- GFX50S II comes with 19 Film Simulation modes, including “Nostalgic Neg.,”
originally launched in Fujifilm’s GFX100S, and characterized by high saturation
and soft tonality. Photographers can use Film Simulation presets, designed for
various subject types and scenes, while checking how they affect the final
image in Live View.
Compact 5-axis In-Body Stabilization delivering up to 6.5-stops of Vibration Reduction
- GFX 50S II features a five-axis image stabilization mechanism that provides up to 6.5 stops*3, the highest in the GFX System. Made possible with the use of aII features a five-axis image stabilization mechanism that provides up high-performance gyro sensor and accelerometer that can detect motions at high accuracy, the gyro sensor has been structured for detection accuracy and precise image stabilization.
- This camera presents new opportunities in the way conventional medium- format digital cameras are used. Rather than being mounted on a tripod for slow and careful shooting, GFX50S II can produce superior image quality even when shooting hand-held, thanks to its image stabilization capabilities.
Fast and high-precision autofocus (AF) from the high-speed processing engine and latest algorithm
- GFX50S II’s fast and high-precision AF system is assisted by the powerful large format high resolution sensor, Fujifilm’s high-speed image processing engine “X-Processor 4”, and an image stabilization mechanism, operated with Fujifilm’s latest algorithm. During the contrast detection process for AF, the built-in powerful image stabilization mechanism controls sensor motion blur to provide speed and accuracy to the AF performance.
- GFX50S II features more accurate AF in Face / Eye Detection compared to a
previous model (GFX50S). The ability to quickly attain focus despite using the
large format sensor with a shallow depth of field assists users greatly when
shooting portraits with movement.
Innovative compact and lightweight body for advanced mobility
- The use of the compact and powerful in-body image stabilization (IBIS) mechanism and shutter unit has been combined with optimized layout of various devices to achieve a logic-defying compact body for a large format camera, weighing approximately 37.1 ounces (900g) and measuring 4.1 inches (104.2mm) high and 3.4 inches (87.2mm) deep.
- The grip has been shaped so that the camera sits comfortably in the hand, ensuring comfort by significantly reducing the hand strain commonly experienced when using a large zoom lens.
- The casing is made of highly rigid magnesium alloy. Provided thickness around the base of the lens mount has made the camera body highly durable. GFX50S II features more accurate AF in Face / Eye Detection compared to a previous model (GFX50S). The ability to quickly attain focus despite using the large format sensor with a shallow depth of field assists users greatly when shooting portraits with movement. II is also weather-resistant at 60 locations, offering dust and moisture-resistance and the ability to operate in temperatures as low as 14
a weather-resistant FUJIFILM XF or GF lens.
Easy operability for a smooth shooting experience
- The top panel features the Mode dial, typically seen in many digital cameras, so that users can handle the camera in a familiar fashion. It offers six customizable positions, C1 – C6, allowing users to register their choice of functions to each of the positions and activate them quickly for a smooth photo shoot, with the ability to instantly switch between the still and video modes for added convenience.
- The use of a flat-shaped Focus Lever reduces physical discomfort even after extended use. It responds with enhanced sensitivity when moving the focus point, allowing users to attain focus at the intended location quickly.
- For exceptional visibility, the customizable 1.8-inch sub LCD monitor is found on the top panel, displaying key EXIF settings such as shutter speed, aperture, ISO sensitivity and exposure. Additional information displayed includes the number of frames remaining when shooting stills and the remaining filming duration when recording video. On the rear panel is a 3.2-inch main LCD monitor with 100% coverage. It can tilt in three directions to enable high- and low-angle shooting, in situations in which the electronic viewfinder (EVF) cannot be easily used.
“Pixel Shift Multi-Shot” function to capture and generate 200MP images free of false color
- GFX50S II features the Pixel Shift Multi-Shot function, capable of creating 200MP images almost entirely free of false color presentation. The ability to reproduce a photo’s colors, texture and even its atmosphere in the finest of details makes the camera a perfect choice for archiving. Large artworks and historical artifacts, previously difficult to photograph in detail because of their size, can be captured in precise details in edge-to-edge clarity.
- This function uses the camera’s IBIS to shift the image sensor by 0.5 pixel to incrementally record 16 RAW images and combine them into a single Digital Negative (DNG) RAW file in the software “Pixel Shift Combiner,” producing an ultra-high-definition 200MP image. The high pixel count leads to an astonishing level of tonality and three-dimensional definitions for edge-to-edge clarity.
- The image sensor is shifted in high precision to ensure that each pixel records image data in red, green and blue, almost completely eliminating false color and recording the subject in accurate color.
- The function can be configured to produce 51.4MP images, which are easier to handle, free of false color.
GFX50S II is expected to be available in late October, 2021, at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $3,999 USD ($5,000 CDN). A GFX50S II camera/lens kit featuring the GF35-70mmF4.5-5.6 WR lens is expected to be available as well at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $4,499 USD ($5,625 CDN). For more information.
*1 An image sensor that measures 55mm diagonally (43.8 mm x 32.9 mm) and is approx. 1.7 times bigger than a 35 mm full-frame sensor
*2 When compared to a 50 megapixel full-frame camera
*3 When mounted with the FUJINON Lens GF63mmF2.8 R WR
Fujifilm Announces FUJINON GF35-70mmF4.5-5.6 WR Lens
Valhalla, N.Y. – FUJIFILM North America Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of FUJINON GF35-70mmF4.5-5.6 WR lens (GF35-70mm), an interchangeable lens for the FUJIFILM GFX System of large-format cameras.
GF35-70mm is a compact and lightweight zoom lens, weighing approximately 13.7 ounces (390g), with outstanding image-resolving performance and focal length range. The highly portable form factor broadens the scope of applications for GFX System cameras equipped with a large format sensor*1.
“GF35-70mm is a new concept, portable zoom for the GFX System, combining excellent versatility with mobility and portability,” says Victor Ha, senior director of marketing and product development for FUJIFILM North America Corporation’s Electronic Imaging Division. “It’s rugged, yet lightweight design is combined with its incredible adaptability to make it an invaluable part of any photographer’s gear.”
Advanced versatility that covers the focal lengths required to capture day-to-day scenes
• GF35-70mm covers versatile focal lengths from 35mm in wide angle to the standard 70mm (equivalent to 28mm-55mm in the 35mm film format) to cater to a wide range of photography situations, including landscape, portraiture and street photography. At 35cm, the lens features the second shortest minimum working distance among interchangeable lenses for the GFX System, enabling a close-up shot of a subject approximately 25cm from the front-most element of the lens. This means it has a broad shooting range, from the dynamic wide-angle framing to the standard framing style with a natural perspective.
• GF35-70mm consists of 11 elements, including one aspherical element and two extra-low dispersion (ED) elements, in nine groups. Its advanced image-resolving capability, with well-controlled spherical and chromatic aberrations, provides precise depiction of each scene.
The most compact and lightest-weight body among GF lenses offering high-speed autofocus (AF) and advanced mobility
• GF35-70mm is optically designed to balance image quality with compact portability, weighing approximately 13.7 ounces (390g) and measuring 73.9mm (when retracted)*2 with the filter thread size of 62mm, an impressive achievement for a standard zoom designed for large-format sensor cameras. Even when mounted on the FUJIFILM GFX100S or FUJIFILM GFX50S II mirrorless digital cameras, the combined weight is less than 3 pounds (about 1,300g).
• The compact and lightweight focusing elements are driven with a stepping motor for fast and accurate AF performance, attaining focus on a subject nearly instantaneously to capture the perfect moment. Whisper-quiet AF makes it suitable not only for stills but also for video recording.
• The lens also supports the GFX System’s Face / Eye Detection AF modes. Fast and highly-accurate AF is achieved in as quickly as 0.13 seconds in near-silence for near-instantaneous focusing on the main subject’s face / eyes*3.This is particularly effective in portraiture that involves subject movements, permitting a momentary change in facial expressions to be captured.
• The lens is weather-resistant at 9 locations, and can be used with weather-resistant GFX System cameras in temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C). The lens withstands rain even when it is mounted on the camera for hand-held shooting, providing shutter opportunities in the toughest of conditions.
This lens uses a manual retractable barrel structure. Before shooting, manually rotate the zoom ring to extend the barrel to the wide-angle 35mm position, which is the barrel’s default position.
GF35-70mm is currently expected to be available late November, 2021, at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $999.95 USD ($1,250 CDN). For more information, please visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/lenses/gf35-70mmf45-56-wr/.
*1 A large-format camera contains an image sensor measuring 55mm diagonally (43.8mm x 32.9mm), with the area approx. 1.7 times that of a full-frame 35mm sensor
*2 The lens measures approx. 96.4mm when fully extended.
*3 When in the Phase Detection AF mode on the FUJIFILM GFX100S; Compliant with the CIPA guidelines